My life with the 3stephensboys is exciting, trying, fulfilling, entertaining, amazing, tiring, inspiring... what God made me for & what I love. Therefore, you may not see many pictures of Darrin or me, but you will get an eye full of my 3stephensboys in all of their glory, amazement and cuteness! Thanks for visiting! Enjoy!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Seeing Jesus in the Strangest Places!

I am sure that the Lord uses many ways to communicate with us and to remind us of His awesomeness. I am also sure that I usually skip over them or get to busy to see them.

But ever since I have moved to Texas, I see spiritual connections in the strangest of places! I'm not sure if I've ever blogged about them, but have felt the burden to do so lately. So here go a few of my ramblings.

Moving to "the South" has shown me many differences from the region that I grew up in! And more often than nought, I stick out like a sore thumb when I open my mouth. I don't believe that I have an accent, but have been reassured that I do!

Last year when we moved, we got to go see a few of the Aggie's Women's Soccer games. It was fun, a bit of a cultural experience, but we were amazed with the way the Aggies did their thing! When Nebraska came to play, I was so excited! I put on my Husker red and wore it proud! I was super homesick and even though I didn't know a one of those girls from UNL, I felt a connection and made sure I said hello to them. One of the girls said, "Well, at least we will have 1 fan in the crowd." And I was definitely the only fan there!

During the game, I stood out in my red among all the maroon. I was cheering when literally no one else was. I found myself standing or jumping up when everyone else was sitting. It affected the way I "got into the game" especially the more stares I received.

The obvious spiritual application there is we ARE to stand out! We are to look differently! We are to be "cheering and jumping up" to different things than the world around us. We are to be all about Jesus all the time no matter if we are surrounded by fellow believers or not!! And in some circumstances, we may be the 1 and only one standing for the Lord, but we are called to do so no matter what! WOW! I have a long way to go!!

Since moving here, I have yet to say a few things "correctly." And I get reminded regularly!


I say pop!

Really, I do! Where I come from when we want a carbonated beverage, we ask for pop. "What kind of pop do you have?" Here this is always answered by: "What?" or "Did you just say pop?" Coke is Coke and Pepsi, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper. They aren't all cokes! And I can't get used to saying soda....so

I say pop!

Dakota came home from school just the other day and told me that he needed to practice saying "soda" so he wouldn't get teased at school for saying "pop". I told him that he shouldn't feel as though he has to change, it tells people that we aren't from around here and there is nothing wrong with that!

So... application:

When we look, sound, talk, different than those around us, are we going to change to fit in and be the same?
Or are we going to be alright with being different?
Or will we give in to the pressure around us and change?

Are we okay being different?
Are we willing to stand out and look, sound, and talk different than the world around us?

Jesus is forever changing me and wanting me to look more like Him everyday. I do have a long way to go, but I am so thankful that I'm not alone. Jesus is right beside me 100%, all the time, everywhere and no matter what! I love Him so much and I'm so thankful that He never gives up on me and that He never lets me stay the same! Forever growing in the Lord!

Thank you, Jesus!

I pray that you see how the Lord is growing you each and everyday and that none of us get too busy or too distracted to see Him at work!

Have a blessed weekend!

PS
I'M GETTING BAPTIZED NEXT SUNDAY!!!! May 25! I'm so excited!!!!

5 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Whoop!! I can't wait to stand at your baptism, so exciting...it is great to see what the Lord is doing in your life and Y'ALL can say pop for as long as you want!!!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kari said...

Thanks Kathryn!!!

Whitney said...

Kari, you definitely stand out. You are so unique! My favorite things about you that STAND OUT are:

1. Your thousands of scrapbooks
2. Eh?!!?!
3. You always say, "I'm so wicked for thinking this..." hahhahaha
4. You've lived, like, everywhere
5. Who likes Pepsi?
6. One name: Kye.
7. You drive a van.
8. You know the "Puppetmaster" dance.
9. You can't dress yourself...enter Darrin :)
10. You are the MOST caring and generous woman i know. The most GIVING friend. Truly :)

Love you, miss you.

Kari said...

LOL, Whit!

Seriously, sitting here reading your comment I laughed out loud!!!

I really think that I need to clarify the "puppetmaster" dance is not associated with any heavy metal band or the like thereof!!

It's from Yo Gabba Gabba, one of Kru's favorite shows!!! And yes, I'm proud to say that I can do the "puppetmaster!"

You are so sweet Whitney! Miss you so much girl!!!!